Teifi Valley Railway | About us
15829
page-template-default,page,page-id-15829,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-child-theme-ver-1.0.0,qode-theme-ver-17.0,qode-theme-bridge,qode_header_in_grid,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.5.5,vc_responsive
 
Since 1854

About us

It has been more than a century-long history of an exciting journey to look back to for Teifi Valley Railway and everyone that is connected with it. The Teifi Valley Railway Railroad as seen today is the latest gauge that is set on an old track bed. SInce then, when started, it has gone through a series of changes both in operation and management hands. Some of these include the purchase by The Great Western Railway in 1881 and 1895 had transferred its terminus to Newcastle Emlyn, which remained so from that point until 1973 when it finally closed the line. A group of volunteers did make attempts to acquire it and preserve it as a standard gauge line, it never succeeded.

In 1981, some group of enthusiast’s people purchased the track bed, and in 1983, with the financing of The Manpower Services Commission, the new two-foot gauge was established, and the Teifi Valley Railway was born. The line begins in Henllan where the old platforms, cattle docks and sometimes in the summer season footings can be seen. Pontprenshitw served as the first terminus. Since then there have been two additional extensions, one to Llandyfriog and another to the current end of the line due to the half of a bridge that collapsed into the river. The platform is often called “Riverside.”

In the most eventful recent history dating back to July 2014, the Teifi Valley Railroad no longer operated as a railroad; no trains were running, and the runway had withdrawn from Henllan to Pontprenshitw, a tractor-hauled land train, which provided rides in a short section of the caterpillar. It was discovered in the fall that the tenant had no intention of repairing or re-laying the runway, but the lanes had been removed so that the commercial wooden logs could access the large timber plantation just after Pontprenshitw. The track beyond Pontprenshitw had not been occupied and was severely damaged. The tenant left the scene and declared bankruptcy.

Starting from November 2014, our team of investors took over the management of the railroad and funds made available to relay some track and resume operations in 2015. By May 2016, the relayed track had reached as far as Forest Holt, and train operations have since been resumed.

Being a group of experienced investors and administrators with a proven track record of success, we have a great plan to revitalized this historical railway and restore it into a viable entity, and one of Wale’s National pride.